Thursday, October 17, 2013

A Craft from Pinterest I Had to Try - Pictures for Today

 
The young man reclining in his chair is Terry. He is resting after doing a couple of projects for me for the events I do with my books. He made a frame for a nice backdrop for the booths I set up. He then did something for me for he project I wanted to try from Pinterest.

 
First, he cut 2- 8X12 pieces of MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard)

 
Then, he used his router and positioned a keyhole in the top middle of each board so that the project could be hung on a wall.

I spread out a newspaper and started painting the front and edges with gray paint.

 
The only gray paint I had was metallic, but I thought that might be a good touch.

 
I left striations in the paint for texture.

 
I had gone to town to purchase some Modpodge for this project, but couldn't find any. I remembered there was a recipe for homemade Modpodge on Pinterest and looked it up on my computer. Come to find out, the homemade stuff is made from a mixture of half regular school glue and half water. Stir together. I only needed about 1/4 cup to do this project for two pictures. (Two coats)
I spread my homemade glue stuff on the painted front of the board and placed the 8X10 photo on it face up. I smoothed the picture with a soft rag. The instructions say to use a plastic trowel to smooth the picture out.
 
I was a little nervous about putting the glue solution over the picture so I waited to see what happened after it dried to do the second one. I forgot to make a copy of the picture on the copy machine so I had to be sure it worked. (Sometimes my attempts at the Pinterest projects don't pan out too well. Many times they do.)
 


These are shots of the finished project. The picture has a matte finish. It isn't exactly like a canvas look, but I like it. There is a project like this that you use a stretched canvas and use the same process. The only difference is that you are supposed to rub the back of the picture on the backside of the canvas. 
I made these for my sister who is the great-grandmother of the pretty baby in the picture. The second one is for my nephew who is the grandfather of this baby. I can hardly wait to take them into town and see how they like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment