Friday, January 31, 2014

Plotting and Planning

This morning I woke up almost as soon as I heard Terry's truck pull out of the drive. I had a dream of two different books. My son is already working on the cover of Book III of the Nashville Series. The title is "Jailbird". It is the story of Debbie and how her life progressed after prison.

When I wrote about Debbie Williams I had no intent to make her a lead character in her own book. For a brief moment I thought I could just drop her off in prison and that would be the end of writing about her. However, readers had  different ideas. Several have been, in a word, hounding me to get to this book quickly.  Okay...okay...I'm plotting it.

Whenever I start a new book, I get out one of my journals (one is for Westerns and one is for Contemporary) and cut out little pictures from magazines of my characters. I looked up the characteristics I had written about Debbie Williams in "Christmas in Nashville" and chose the picture to match them. I hadn't plotted her in the journal for "Christmas in Nashville" so I had to search and find her in the document.

I discovered (because my memory is short) that she is a blond and has green eyes. She is a 44 year old widow. Her husband, Curtis, died at age 38. Her parents are deceased so she depends on her former in-laws for parental support. Ned and Alice really do love her.

I listed the things I know about Debbie from the previous book. This helps when I am writing so that I don't have to look up details like this when I am in the throws of writing. (Let me tell you, the words are flung everywhere when I am on a roll.)

I also chose a man or two to be in the storyline...looked at pictures of children and decided whether or not there would be any in her future. I don't know for sure...maybe, maybe not.

Now, I need to do some research and see what the last week and day of prison is like. I really do work to make the events as factual as possible. (If any of you readers have some insight on this, email me @ elainel45@msn.com)

I am doing an experiment on this book. I want you to be vocal about how you like this. (if you participate in it) I am going to release this book in episodes. The episodes will be available on Kindle. Each episode will contain 10,000 words or so and will be released every three weeks. (hopefully) The first installment may take a little longer. Each episode will be 99 cents. After the book is completed, all the episodes will be combined and published as a full length novel. It will be available both in print and e-book format.

The other book I have on the burner is different than anything I have ever written. It is about a middle-aged woman who has been kidnapped. There is no reason she should targeted because she has no money or influence. I have 3 chapters of this book written, but haven't arranged for the cover yet. That is why "Jailbird" will be finished before "Stolen" is.

I am interested in what you have to say about this post. Comment on my page on Facebook or email me. You can be honest and let me know your doubts and concerns as well as your interest in this. I do care about you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment