Monday, June 9, 2014

Sewing Lesson for Maci

 

Yesterday 7 year old Maci walked past the sewing room/office/craft room on the way to our bedroom. She asked if it would be possible for me to teach her how to sew with the sewing machine. I told her we would try to get to it.

Today, I finally thought of something that could be finished rather quickly and also give her a lot of sewing machine time. I had some strips already prepared for a string quilt and realized that allowing her to piece those strips together and then quilt them would give her a lot of practice.

My machine has a turtle speed and a rabbit speed. (there are pictures) If I set it to turtle, she can only go turtle. With rabbit she may go as fast as she wants. By the time she finished, she set it to a little more than halfway to rabbit. Her seams became more and more uniform. We stuffed it with the filling from an old pillow. She is really proud of her project and I am impressed at her willingness to follow directions. She also learned ironing and pressing skills. Now, on to the next project!

No comments:

Post a Comment