Sunday, February 16, 2014

Trial and Error with Melting Old Crayons into New Crayons

Youngest granddaughter received a heart-shaped multi-colored crayon for Valentine's Day. She was excited and wanted to make some of her own. Meme got out her plastic forms and we took the paper off some old crayons and broke them up into the forms.

There surely were a lot of old broken crayons to use. When we put the plastic forms with the pieces in the microwave, the microwave shut down and had to be reset. Hmmm must be something in the crayons!
 
We took the crayon pieces out of the plastic forms and put them into my mini cupcake pans. We turned the oven to 400 degrees and waited for it to preheat before we put them inside. I set the timer for 5 minutes. When I removed them from the oven they were melted and looked a little like Koolaide. I put them on the top of the range and we waited until they completely cooled off. (about 20 to 30 minutes)
 
  I didn't know if they would come out easily, so I put about an inch of really hot water in the sink and placed the pans in it.


Some of them came out just by pressing and some of them had to come out with the help of a sharp knife along the edge.

Look at that proud, happy face and those fun multi-colored crayon discs.

She colored and colored all day. I would say it was a success.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment