Thursday, May 29, 2014

Grandma Made a Promise

Around February or March I had a conversation with our oldest granddaughter, Sierra. She had been drawing fashions in this little book that she received for Christmas. She is eight years old and loves to design clothes. In our telephone conversation, I said, "Why don't you draw up something and I will make it into a doll dress?"
She said, "I'll get it right to you."
Sierra, Maci, and I are pen pals. We write actual letters on stationery, attach stamps, and send them in the mail to one another. I save every little scrap they write to me and they love writing to one another.

One day, weeks ago, I had a letter from Sierra. In it was the drawing. She requested that it be made for a Barbie doll. She had specific items pictured. Some of them were gems on a headband and on a ruffle around the bottom of the straight skirt, a big collar with a bow and a heart. I had freedom to choose the colors used.

Well... have been sort of putting off making the Barbie dress because they are hard to make. I was thinking that I might make doll dresses for a rag doll the size of raggedy Ann. I did go to pinterest and find some patterns, then I printed them.

I got busy babysitting, having a monster cold, writing episodes of a book, going to craft shows, helping Terry move his mom, and...putting it off. Shhhhh we don't want her to know that part. Her daddy called to talk to me on Mother's Day. She asked to have a word with me. She said, "Happy Mother's Day, Grandma. I'm a little concerned about the doll clothes you said you would make for me."
I said, "Why are you concerned?" (I think I knew the answer.)
"It has taken quite a long time."
"I will get to it as soon as I finish the episode I am writing."
"Okay, Grandma."

After we hung up, I felt guilty...but not guilty enough to sew yet. I did finish the episode and knew I had to get crackin'. I looked all over for the drawing....Oh no! I couldn't find it! As I went to sleep I prayed that I would find it. "Secretary Desk"...It was almost audible.

The next morning I searched the secretary desk. I found it there.  I had errands to do and needed to see my sister for a bit, so I forgot the sewing project. I did take the drawing to her house to show her and my nephew what I was going to be working on.

Today...this afternoon, I went to my fabric stash in search of good fabric for this fashion. It took quite a long time to get it just right. I had to find the Barbie from my childhood days to be my body form for her doll. I got out the pattern that I printed off and it was too small.

I tried to enlarge it, but couldn't get it through my head how to make it work. I climbed on a chair to the top of a closet and found my old Barbie clothes. (Remember when we only had 2 Barbies and we changed their clothes all the time?) Anyway, there was one dress that was pretty beat up and that  knew fit really cute. I took it and carefully pulled it apart for a pattern.

I was in the middle of cutting everything out when Terry got home. He went to town to see his Mom and to get some Sub sandwiches for us. While he was gone, I sewed the little dress up. I hope Sierra sees that Grandma kept her promise even if it took me a long time. At least it didn't take 50 years like replacing the 20 mule team Borax model did for my brother. hee hee.

I know I have a strange look on my face, but look at the cute design my little designer came up with. I am going to send it to her this week and hopefully, she will love it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment