Thursday, May 8, 2014

Part 2 Baxter Springs, Kansas Trip May 2014

October 2013 Terry and I went through Baxter Springs, Kansas on our way to Branson, MO and Backstrom, LA. While we were there our friends, the superintendents of the Bible College, Billy and Rhonda Waggoner, told us to be sure to come for the Reunion in May. This year the classes from 1954, 1964, 1974, 1984, 1994, 2004,  and 2014 were going to be featured at the alumni banquet. We decided to attend and we are glad we did.



 We stopped at the Trolley Car Bridge at the edge of Baxter Springs to see how it was holding up after all these years. It was one of our favorite places to spend time while we were dating.

I remember that one time there was a whole lot of rain. I would call it a flood, but I'm from the Texas panhandle and I don't really know about things like that. There were whirlpools under the bridge and the water was really high.


We are 40 years older than the kiddos who double-dated and walked this bridge.



We were on our way to the Alumni Banquet. Our 'partners in crime', Lynden and Starley Bensch were staying at the same hotel we were, so we rode together to the banquet.  On many of our dates in 1974 they were the second couple for our double date. Terry and Lynden have been friends since being in the church nursery as babies. Boy, did they have stories to tell.


 Lynden and Starley Bensch. The conversation flowed and laughter was plentiful. I laughed so hard with these guys that my stomach is still sore even today! These two could be comedians! (along with the hubs)

 Terry and Lynden had to climb up on the bridge for a pose also.




 Kathryn and Jack Cornell with Rhonda (Sanger) Waggoner at the banquet. The Cornells were the superintendents when we attended in 74.
 Sherri Cook was our piano teacher, music teacher, and choir pianist.   Alvin Buschman was in our class and is married to Lynden Bensch's sister.
 Do you remember Vicki and the Royalheirs? The man in black is Bill Patterson. He and his wife, Vicki founded the group. They were also ministers to the students at Panhandle State University for three years. Their ministry really made and impact on me when our youth group from Perryton went to meetings there and listened to the athletes give their testimonies.

 An impromptu quartet formed of Bill Patterson, Jack and Kathryn Cornell, and Ted Barker. Ted was the super the year before Terry and I attended.  It was fun to see him again, also.

This is an empty lot next to the dorms. It is also the location of the 'old home'. It has been removed for years.
 This is the building where we had the banquet. To us, it is new. I'm not sure how long it has been here, but it is super nice.
 This is the main building for the AFBC. There are classrooms and the kitchen/dining hall. They were very kind and invited us to eat lunch and breakfast with the students and our friends.


 This is one of the dorms. In 1974, this was dorm 1 for the girls.
The other building in the background was dorm 2. This Bible College changed my life. It was my only option in 1974 after graduating. Funds were low and I couldn't put my parents through trying to help me with tuition in a regular college.

AFBC has always been funded by faith contributions. At the time, I wasn't able to pay for my education there. I was still welcomed and loved. Friends of the school sent and still send offerings to support the school. This is where I met the love of my life. Terry has been the best thing that came out of this school for me. Other benefits have been the friendships as well as knowing there is a place like this on the earth where students are trained in the Word of God and teachers love their students and are a great example of the love of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment