Thursday, May 1, 2014

Part 2 of Almost 7 Years of Publishing

This picture was taken for the next few books. It was taken in the studio by the same photographer, Terry Peak. My niece, Melanie Hards, did my makeup. She graduated from a professional movie makeup school and has done makeup for some movies made in New Mexico. If I look better in this picture than in most, it is through the skills of Terry Peak and Melanie. This picture is also a few years old.

The next series had to be written because of something that was written in "Elk's Resolve". There were characters who needed their stories told. That is what the series, Rescued...a Series of Hope is all about. It is still in the process of being written. The first 4 books are done. I think there are at least 2 more to round out this one.

Book 1 of Rescued...a Series of Hope- Some Happy Day:

This book begins with a story based on something that happened to my Daddy. He was born in 1909 and was in on the tail-end of wagon travel. When he was little he fell asleep in the back of a wagon while the family was moving from one of the plains states to another. As he slept, he fell out of the wagon and was knocked unconscious. When he came to, he saw the family wagon disappearing from sight. He walked in that direction until he caught up with them at suppertime.

I wrote the basis of this story but changed it up a lot. The outcome was much different. The child was a lot younger and the story took off.


Book 2 of this series is Capture the Wandering Heart:


Capture the Wandering Heart is one of my favorites. Of course, all of them are my favorites. Most of the action takes place in Palo Duro Canyon in Texas when Amarillo wasn't a town yet. Other places in this book are Dodge City, Kansas, Clarendon, TX, and Tascosa, TX. They were hot spots in the 1870s. The canyon picture was taken by a friend I have had since my junior high days, Rhonda Price. This book has a lot of folk medicine cures and history from this part of the United States. It also addresses issues we face in modern days.



Book 3 of the series is Walk Slowly through the Dark



This book addresses some of the difficult times we go through in life. Even when we are supposed to be in the midst of our happiest times, we find ourselves dissatisfied and lonely. This book is not all gloom and doom. I attempted to show how the Presence of God is with us even in hard times. This book packs a surprise for the reader.


Book 4 of the series is "The Restless Kansas Winds"



Our son/mid-kid, Marlin, did this cover for me. He found this cowboy in stock photos and I really liked him, but he was shirtless. Marlin told me he could put a shirt on him. I would have never known!! What do you think? That Mar is talented! I think this is my favorite cover so far. I have entered it into a cover contest. I would love for it to place. That would really look great in his graphic art portfolio. Did I mention that he does this sort of thing for a living?

This book is set in Meade and Liberal, Kansas while the railroad was being built. The towns were also building up. I learned in research for this book, where the term "hell on wheels" originated. I also learned about the Chinese and Irish workers on the railroad. It is my goal that the background of the stories I write inform readers of a little interesting history of our country while they are being entertained. Also the spiritual truths the characters learn will hopefully be a help to the reader also.

Book 5 of this series is yet to be written, but I am researching background things. I strive for those things to be accurate and interesting.

Next time I will tell you a bit about the Nashville series.

No comments:

Post a Comment