Saturday, January 18, 2014

Duct Tape...Who Knew???

For the past couple of years Terry and I have struggled with our microwave. It is built in a cabinet that we made after taking the wall oven out when we purchased our free standing range. Because of this, we have to make sure the microwave is the correct size for the opening.

This is how it usually goes. I write a note on a scrap piece of paper with the measurements on it and put it in my purse. We go to the store and I can't find it...ever. Sometimes I even use an index card. I think my purse is hungry because it seems to have chewed it up and swallowed it.

The hubs will say, "Babe, you got the measurements for the microwave?"
Me, "Can't find that blasted paper I wrote it on."
Hubs, "Oh well."

The next time we are shopping goes something like this:
Me. "I found paper that says the size of the microwave."
Hubs, "We have to wait until payday."
Me, "Grrrr...."

The reason we need a new microwave is because at random times, it sparks and sounds like electrical static. We run to it and open the door to remove the food and hope that it isn't on fire. The other day, the hubs came sauntering into the living room and said, "I fixed it."
"Fixed what?" I asked.
"The microwave."
"The microwave?" I ask.
"With duct tape...I put duct tape over the hole on the inside of the microwave and it works."
"Duct tape? Hole? What?"
"We don't need a new microwave," he says.
"You want to bet!" I say under my breath.
Where is that measuring tape and notepad????

Note from the Hubs:
"Actually, the story began about two or three Super Bowl Sundays ago. I was getting ready to make my popcorn in the microwave, and enjoy the game. It started popping, snorting, and nearly caught fire. Since then, we have experimented with different methods, such as, covering the food with paper towel, or a bowl or plate. I don't know why that works, but it does. I noticed a hole developing up on the side near the top on the inside of the microwave. The hole has gotten bigger over the last 3 yrs. I got the bright idea the other day to try putting duct tape over the hole. Guess what...... it works just fine. A little concerned what affect the tape will have on the food. Hmmmmmmmmm. May have to break down and buy a new microwave." hmmmmm


No comments:

Post a Comment