Friday, January 10, 2014

I Am Stranded on an Island...Sort of...

The island still needs to be painted. (I started and now I have to finish...hmmm) I took the doors and hardware off the base. Then I washed the door in the sink. Somehow, it is easier to get all the stubborn dirt off that way.
I placed trash bags on the counter top and used old plastic bowls to hold the door up off the surface of it so that I could get the edges nicely.
Gloss Cherry...yum. The color reminds me of a shiny new car. It cleans up with soap and water and the finish is really nice. I used a brush and it was easy to get a smooth finish.
A shot of the inside of the island.
The hardware is soaking in soapy water to get gunk off of them.

The drawers are all painted with the scant first coat. I am trying to avoid drips and runs. Knowing my ability, there will still be drips and runs.
I went to town to let this dry. I know me...if I stayed home, I would be trying to add another coat before it was time to do it.


The Island is done! The paint and tools are put away. I will use the dry, paint-splattered trash bags for trash. My kitchen is usable again. In the near future I need to repaint the white cabinets. The paint is wearing off around the handles. They will remain white. I can say that I love my kitchen!

There is a story behind the island. When we moved here, the previous owners had placed a low snack bar right where that pan of Christmas Crack is sitting by the hammer. (I am drying the Christmas crack out because I skipped that step when I had company for Christmas. It was an important step. It tastes better when it isn't sticky.,,,but I digress...)

We didn't like the short snack bar. The whole kitchen was harvest gold. The cabinets were varnished with dark stain. All the walls were white. Anyway....The house we had just moved out of had a nice island. I really missed it and wanted Terry to build one for me. He was covered up with work, so I prayed about it.

In one of the next few newspapers, I read in the list of garage sales that the lady who had bought our house in town had a kitchen island for sale. I was sure it was the one that was I was missing so much. Anyway, we went to the old house and the lady had this island for sale. It wasn't the custom one we had built in the house she bought, but it was just right for this kitchen. I only paid $20 for it. (yes, twenty dollars!) It had a nice cream colored counter top on it, but you read what happened to it. lol.

I knew the Lord heard my prayer for an island! He does stuff like that all the time. This island always has made me smile. I am blessed beyond belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment