Thursday, January 23, 2014

If an Eye Roll Had a Sound...

If an Eye Roll Had a Sound, you would have heard the screeching from my house to where you live from the Hubs' eyes.  As you probably have guessed, I am a fan of Pinterest. (Thank you, Noveta, for introducing me to this great site.) One of the first pins I saw was the one that said to save the racks from your old dishwasher to use in your cabinet.
 
Terry had a very difficult time with this concept when we replaced our dishwasher a few years ago. I pleaded with him to save the 'guts' of the old dishwasher so that we could use it in organizing our cabinets. He put the racks in the 'junk pile' next to our storage barn where it stayed until Monday, my birthday.
 
Step aside with me for a minute. I don't like the junk pile. Every year in the spring, the hubs loads up everything from the junk pile and takes it to the dump. I like for even the pasture to look neat and clean.
 
Back to the kitchen: I had a towel rack thing like is used in hotel rooms. I got it from a garage sale and had never really used it to it's full ability. I brought it down stairs and started showing the hubs how we could use it on it's side to divide the big glass serving dishes and large electric griddle. It must have hit him wrong. He said, "I'll go get the racks from that old dishwasher from the junk pile."
Me: "You didn't throw them away?"
Hubs: "Nope, you told me we were going to use them."
Me: "Really? I'm so glad you listened!"
Hubs: "I'll go get them."
I stood with tears in my eyes as I watched him cross past the garage and to the junk pile. I was sort of emotional because I KNEW he didn't think the idea would work.

He came in with the racks. They were a little dirty, but he wanted to prove to me that they wouldn't fit. Low and behold, they fit!!!!! I was almost to cry!
Hubs: "Wow, they do work."
We put the bottom rack in the area under the microwave. Because the pizza stone, glass dishes, and griddle were tall, we used the other rack in another cabinet. After washing them up, we took the utensil rack to put the spatulas and things we use for the gas grill in there. They are big and don't fit in the drawers very well. We need to paint the inside of the cabinet and then we are through. Terry told me he would do the painting because my hands cramped for days after I painted the island. What a man!

 
The other rack in on the bottom shelf of the "blind corner" cabinet. The extra Tupperware and all the lids fit in this rack really nicely. The basket on the top is from the drawer set we took out from under the microwave. (pictured in an earlier post) It didn't fit the area perfectly, so the dishwasher rack was a better option.

I put items that don't weigh much in these two baskets because they are the front rack to the blind corner cabinet. The things in the back/side basket are things I don't use much. (canning stuff and Tupperware cake/pie carriers)

 
This is another basket from those we removed from under the microwave. It is the one with the Tupperware cake and pie carriers.



This is the other side of the blind corner. I had lazy Susan's and put my extra plates and canning jars on them. I use the canning jars to put pinto beans, rice, popcorn, etc. in after I open the bag and use a portion of it. I like to have them within easy reach. These cabinets are old, but they are so well made. They are all wood. (plywood) The doors are plain, but I think the are classic.

 
We still need to finish painting the wall that goes down to the basement. (That will be done soon.) I hung the Heman cake pan I found in the blind corner. We purchased it when the boys were little and I made their birthday cakes with it for years. I like to look at it and think of their little faces. I took the crock pot from the top of the fridge, the ice cream cone cookie jar from the top of the cabinets, the three other cookie jars from the blind corner, the toaster oven from the blind corner, the extra toaster from the blind corner and the waffle iron from the mess in the cabinet under the microwave. See the pinto beans and rice in the canning jars? All the notebooks and books are cookbooks. The step ladder will be painted red and hung in place there with a ladder hanger. I am short and have to use it a lot.
I think the kitchen is pretty much done except that the Hubs did purchase a new microwave and installed it, but the cabinet needs a little trim to meet his expectations. He is a perfectionist and I love him for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment