Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My Head is Swimming! Since the Hubs has Mondays Off, He Gets a Lot Done!

Terry surprised me this past Monday by stopping by the lumber yard and picking up a couple of oak boards. I couldn't figure out what he was up to. I sat in the pickup while he went inside because I had just finished a session with my chiropractor. (My knees has been gimpy etc.)

Anyway, I saw that he had purchased 2 pieces of wood that had knots in it. I said, "What are you going to do with the knotty pine?"
He said, "It's oak. I'm going to trim out the floor next to the patio door."

You could have knocked me over with a feather! We stripped the old carpet off the floors and uncovered original hardwoods from the 1920s over 5 years ago.

 

Oops, the first picture shows the track before I actually got on my hands and knees and scrubbed the track! Gross! It took a lot of paper towels and a pointy stick to get all the crud out of there.
 
Terry stacked two pieces of oak and glued them together. He cut them to size and then he ran the router over it. I will take a picture of it after he stains and varnishes it.
 
Hmmm...it occurs to me that I really need to get a new throw rug there. That one is threadbare in places and also faded.
 
This is the doorway transition from the wood floor to the ceramic tile in the bathroom. The hubs is almost done with this. He will stain and varnish it to match the floor. This is the last step in getting the wood floor work finished. Yay!
 
That is sort of how our projects have worked. I am not complaining here. We choose to do a little as we can pay for it. Because of this, it has taken many years to get things done. Of course, the trim project took a little long, but that was because Terry is super busy at work and when he is home, the last thing he needs to do is home improvement. (Many times he gets up to go to work at 4 a.m.) He was also looking for premade trim that would work for this particular job. He finally decided to fashion it himself. He is very talented that way.
 
Now that he has every Monday off, he is able to tackle stuff at will. Usually, when we have time to do something, we don't have the money to do it. That is the beauty of small projects, they come in bite sized pieces and don't cost as much as doing big projects. You would be surprised at how inspiring getting through a few small projects are! I feel like I have a new house.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment