Saturday, September 14, 2013

We Take Care of Things We Want to Last

This summer has been the summer of taking care of things. My husband and I have been working diligently on resurfacing decks, tables, chairs, and the bed of our flatbed trailer. We have repainted a lot of trim on our house too. The idea is to extend the life of everything so that replacements won't have to be made.

At the big box lumber store, the guy mixing the surface coating for our decks etc. told us that the product we were buying was guaranteed for the remaining life of the wood it is put on. Hmmmm. That is interesting. If the wood is rotten, there isn't much guarantee, but if we caught it in time, the guarantee is really good.

The bottom line is that we take care of the things that are costly to replace, sentimental, or otherwise important to us. Relationships are some of those things. Our three boys graduated high school in 1996,1997, and 2000. After they started college, they were never around here much. They are all married and have a family of their own to take care of.

Like I said before, this summer has been a summer of taking care of things. We arranged to spend a week in the beautiful mountains of Colorado with all of our sons and their families. We camped...tent camped...roughed it...(I am definitely looking into getting a camper for next time.)

We rebuilt relationships around the campfire and sightseeing. Some rough edges were knocked off of us and we remembered life together was not always idyllic. We did remember that close relationship with one another is worth it. Worth working through everything even if it is hard.

Our boys are worth it. Every prayer prayed asking God to remind them of His glory and every tear for the things that sometimes come up is worth it. I love those people. They are my people. I will take care of those relationships.

I have been on the Potter's wheel this summer. The Lord has shown me things in myself that need reshaping. I have been pounded and reformed into a closer relationship than ever with Jesus. I have realized that I have let some things go that should have been worked on. The closeness with God is definitely worth taking care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment