Thursday, December 5, 2019

Real Life Christmas 2019 Part 3

The hubs and I have been on a quest for a Hallmark Movie type Christmas for a few years now. Year before last, he was convinced that doing some of the things I asked him to do in previous years  were the key. This is how that went. (Believe me, he is still...not upset...how would you say it?...sorta ...confused.)
Christmas 2017 Terry walked into the living room where I was probably on my laptop conversing on Facebook.
"Baaaabe, we are going to go see the Nutcracker this year."
Me, "We are?"
"Find it online and get us some good tickets halfway up the middle."
"Okay."
Terry, "It has to be good, right? Your sister and brother in law took their grandkids there every year."
Me, "You know it is a ballet, right?"
Terry, "So they dance a little bit."
We go to church and I tell the preacher's wife what is up. She says they have been there before. She reminded me that people really dress up when they go to see the Nutcracker.
We get home.
Me, "Terry, we have to dress up for the Nutcracker."
Terry, "Who says?"
Me, "Brenda. She says people really dress up."
Terry, "I'll wear a suit, but I WILL NOT wear a tie."
I know I am on shaky ground here and I've already purchased the tickets. "Okay, no tie."
Terry, "Handel's Messiah is at the Methodist Church tonight. You always asked to go. We should go.?
Me. "Okay." I'm thinking...Is this Terry? What has come over him. Did the doctor tell him I'm dying r something? Oh dear...I'm dying??? I have to be dying for him to want to do all the things I asked him to do all these years.
Terry, "Let's decorate the Christmas trees today."
Me, "You're helping?"
Terry. "Yep."
I'm definitely dying.

We go to the concert. The music is beautiful. Going with Terry...or me...to a long concert is like taking a three year old to a long concert. It was a little long for us. Quite a few people left at intermission, but we were on a 'culture quest', it would seem, so we stayed with it. The soloists were great, the orchestra was moving. I'm glad we went, but I don't think I can get Terry to go again.

The Nutcracker: We were all dressed up. We got our official picture taken in the lobby in two places. Terry bought a Nutcracker for me to commemorate the event. We sat in the wrong seats and had to move. Our seats were in a better place in the auditorium. Yay.

The music started and the dancing started. We didn't realize there was NO TALKING. We then realized that we should have read the story of the Nutcracker so we'd know what on earth was going on.
Terry leaned over to my ear and whispered, "What's up with the rats?"
"I don't know."
I never had an answer to any of his questions.
The dancers were very good. The little kids in the production did great. I LOVED the costumes.
However we were 'silk purses made from a sow's ear.' I think our kind of entertainment is like a Sugarland, or Oak Ridge Boys concert. We are defiantly not high brow people. We are plain country folk.
Terry shudders when he talks about those 2 events we did. However, I am so glad we did them! I love choir music. I was in school choir for 6 years and loved it all. I always was curious about the  Nutcracker. I'm glad I finally saw it. Terry's wanting to do these things especially for me melted my heart.

The Hallmark Version

Terry: Darling, did you have my tux cleaned for the Christmas events this year? We do have the Nutcracker as well as Handel's Messiah this week.
Me: "But of course."
Terry, "I do love to grab a little culture whenever it presents itself, don't you, dear?"
Me, "It does my heart good to see the joy on your face upon attending these events."
T, "You are too kind."
Me, "I know."
We laugh and laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment