Thursday, January 23, 2020

Digging Into Old Recipes


This year at our after Christmas get together with two of our boys and family I made a simple decision. The decision was NOT monumental for most people, but it was a breakthrough for me. What was it? I planned every single meal for their visit ahead of time. Yep, I know you were expecting more.

It made the meals so much better and we didn't have to bring in food from restaurants or drive-ins. I put some old favorites of the boys' and tried some new ones that turned out amazing. The new ones were from "The Best Recipe" book from America's Test Kitchen on PBS. These recipes were Rib-eye roast with small red smokey paprika potatoes and a meatloaf that even those who don't really like meatloaf enjoyed.

While at Denver with Steve, Aimee, Sierra, Devon, Zach, and Jazmin we were talking about those meals. (Yes, it was a topic because I'm usually a 'fly by the seat of your pants' type of cook.) Anyway...I was talking about how I added/replaced some of the holiday type meals for summer type or other favorites for big get togethers in the summer or other times. Steve mentioned that he'd love to have Bierox for one of those meals.

Of course we will have Bierox! This morning I added the notation of Bierox to my master list. (Yes, I made a master menu list for a week+ of meals along with a grocery list to match. I didn't want to think that hard again next year. I also put all the recipes in the same notebook or at least put the page number and referenced the cookbook. Now I had a dilemma...where on earth is my Bierox recipe????

Since we have been eating low carb for a few years some of the old recipes have been neglected. Where or where is that recipe??? I searched through a little cookbook I made when I taught Jr. Church at the Full Gospel Church. Man alive, those ladies can cook! The Bierox recipe was not there. Then, I found the Midway Country Church cookbook that my sweet mother-in-law, Viola, had given me and FOUND IT!!!  Yay!

I did something that seems bad. I carefully pulled out the page, put it in a notebook sleeve, and added it to the Christmas master list recipes. I know how scatter brained I am when trying to remember which book a recipe is featured. I am so happy now! Those Midway ladies are really great cooks as well. Honestly, have you ever heard of a group of church ladies who were terrible cooks? Me neither.

Through the years many ladies...and gentlemen have served our families at times of celebration and distress with food for Viola's 90th birthday as well as many other family members' family funeral dinners. You never realize what a monetary blessing this is until you discover what it costs to feed a group of people at a restaurant. I know we were grateful at the time, but I remain grateful for the love those dinners represented. Thank you again. Not only is it a monetary blessing, the love and support helped us through many tears.

Yes, not only did I find the Bierox recipe, I walked down memory lane paging through those books and leaflets. I could almost taste the cookies and snacks served after our youth group sang at the rest home as well as the snacks at various church parties and fun times. Taking the time to minister by cooking is really a big deal. You may not think you are doing much, but I know it helped me many times as a youth to know there were people who cared enough to spend time in the kitchen for people. Thank you! Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. "Honestly, have you ever heard of a group of church ladies who were terrible cooks? Me neither."

    Me either! hahaha

    ReplyDelete